Wednesday, November 12, 2008

All Souls’ Day '08 – Irosin Catholic Cemetery

The commemoration of all the faithful departed is celebrated by the Church on 2 November, or, if this be a Sunday or a solemnity, on 3 November. The Office of the Dead must be recited by the clergy and all the Masses are to be of Requiem, except one of the current feast, where this is of obligation.

The theological basis for the feast is the doctrine that the souls which, on departing from the body, are not perfectly cleansed from venial sins, or have not fully atoned for past transgressions, are debarred from the Beatific Vision, and that the faithful on earth can help them by prayers, almsdeeds and especially by the sacrifice of the Mass. Source...


Filipinos made this commemoration as the time for merriment; this is the time to bond with family and friends. In cemeteries you can see store selling foods. The commemoration starts on the eve, which should be the All Saint’s day.

When I was a kid, I viewed this celebration as the time to meet my cousins, aunties and relatives, we would bring native delicacies, flowers and candles even up to now we do the same. I knew it’s the time to remember and rekindle the memories of our departed love ones. But I was after the fun of making the melted candles into a ball. I remember I couldn’t wait for the rosary to finish so that we could play.

During my teenage years, the All Souls Day, became the time to bond with friends. I couldn’t wait for the rosary to finish so that I could meet my friends. I have a friend, which her house near the cemetery, her parents would prepare food like of those prepared for fiesta celebration. By the way in our own language we call All Souls’ Day as Fiesta sa Gadan (Feast of the Dead). We used to hang-out in this house especially during this celebration.

It’s been half a decade that I didn’t go home for the certain celebration. This year I decided to attend beside the late birthday celebration of my niece was held on that day. The effect of the celebration is the same but I did not look for my friends. I enjoyed more talking to relatives; I didn’t rush to finish the rosary. It’s the first time that I didn’t leave the family’s mausoleum. Our nieces and nephews enjoyed making ball candles. I met my friend in the cemetery but I did not go with her instead I visited her the following day.

1 comment:

bobbyboy said...

It’s the first time that I didn’t leave the family’s mausoleum. Our nieces and nephews enjoyed making ball candles. I met my friend in the cemetery but I did not go with her instead I visited her the following day.

You're passing it on to the next generation :)

Thanks so much for sharing this experience with us!